Friday, October 8, 2010

Lee's newest endevour!!

So once again we have been neglecting our blogging duties.. 本当にゴメンm(_ _)m 
October is already looking to be a busy month but hopefully we will be able to update everyone on all the exciting things we are doing!! Trav and I are settling into our school routine pretty well and aside from the grueling 1 1/2 hour commute to school, we are really liking our classes and classmates! The 1 1/2 hour commute is not too bad either since I'm kinda used to it from last time and I absolutely love riding the train!! However, there are times where commuting 3 hours for an hour and a half class just doesn't seem right!  I've also finally made the big decision to join the Koto Club here at Waseda! The clubs in Japan are much more serious than in America and require quite a bit from you, so this will definitely be taking up a lot of my time. But it is completely worth it! I've wanted to learn Koto since I tried one three years ago but haven't had the chance to in America. This will also be a great opportunity for me to make some Japanese friends and will force me to use Japanese since only 2 out of the 15 members speak English(でも、ちょっとこわそうね)So what is a koto exactly? It's technically a type of zither but that probably doesn't help explain anything (^_^)..The easiest way to describe one is that it is a 6 foot long table harp...and most of you are probably still completley unsure as to what I'm talking about so here are some pics:
It has 13 strings that are strung over 13 movable bridges along the width of the instrument and you use three finger picks to pluck the strings. I am going on Monday with one of the club members to be fitted for my finger picks. It is very hard to properly play this instrument without wearing finger picks that have been made to fit your fingers, and so this is the first order of business for all new members! This is my first experience with a Japanese club so I'm sure I'll have lots of interesting things to keep you all updated on! Now its time to study for my Japanese quiz..Yes, I have school on Saturday...for just one class.....during first period....and that class is a language course.....bad Waseda bad...(@_@)

おやすみ!!

No comments:

Post a Comment