Saturday, October 23, 2010

Koto Club update!

 Hello everyone! So it is finally Saturday which means I have time to post.
The past few days have been brutal and I seriously would sneak home just a few hours of sleep before getting up and doing it all over again! talk about a busy life in Tokyo! I love it though so no complaints here...except for some blistered fingers..I had koto practice for 7 hours yesterday which was tons of fun but also quite tiring. 2-3 times a month my club has a koto sensei (teacher), who is one of the best players in the world, come to give the members lessons and yesterday she came to help them prepare for their December concert. If you know anything about Japanese culture, she was to be given the highest form of respect possible to a sensei. For example, before she arrived we all had to sit in seiza style (legs tucked under ur booty) facing the door and when she arrived we quitely were to say konnichiwa while bowing our heads all the way to the ground. The senior members then would rush to her to grab her coat and purse and one would go and pour her drink. If you were in the same room as her you also had to sit in the perfect seiza position at all times and not flinch or reposition yourself. This may not sound like much, but try sitting with ur legs tucked under you for a long period of time on a hard surface. Within about 10 minutes your legs wont be feeling a thing!!! The other American in the club burst into tears after the sensei left because her legs were hurting so bad. The seiza was not fun but it just takes some getting used to. So during the last 15 minutes of the lesson Iwaki-sensei checked the new members forms and it looks like there is hope for me! The sensei even joked that I must have been Japanese in the past as I have a perfect seiza posture, especially for an American. She must be right cause that would explain my interest in Japan! ; ) This definitely helps shorten my whole "So why are you majoring in Japanese?" response...well it's time for bed, Trav has a fun day planned for me tomorrow!!! I miss you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment